Monday, July 23, 2018

Wonderful Fictional Map Sells for Huge Sum at Art Auction

Normally, I limit the maps I write about to antiques that I own, would love to own or that are simply fascinating and historically important. This post is an exception because this map is not really any of those things. My wife brought my attention to a wonderful fictional map that recently sold for an astonishing sum, so I thought it deserved a post.


Recognize this wonderful map? It's the map of the 100 Acre Wood, home to Winnie-the-Pooh (and Tigger too!). My wife brought to my attention that this original map, drawn to compliment the first stories of Winnie-the-Pooh recently sold at auction for the fantastic sum of £430,000. 

It has some truly charming details, including the deliberate misspellnig of some words and notations such as Eeyore's home being "rather boggy and sad", Pooh's "trap for heffalumps", a "floody place", and a note that the stream continues to the north pole.

I, even as an adult, love the Winnie-the-Pooh stories, and so I can see the appeal of owning such a map, though it doesn't really fall into the category of maps I collect. Still, it's charming, wonderful, nostalgic and artistically beautiful. Also, to toot my Canadian horn a bit, it has a Canadian connection. Sort of. The map itself is most definitely British, but Winnie-the-Pooh is indisputably Canadian.

Have a watch:



No comments:

Post a Comment